(Adopted July 1988: Amended 14 May 1993, 8 October 2002, 1 February 2005, 30 June 2010, 27 May 2011, 1 October 2014)
1:1 The name of the society shall be the International Society for Contemporary Legend Research.
2:1 The society shall encourage and support the scholarly study of contemporary legend, in the broadest sense of the term, and related phenomena. “Contemporary” refers not only to so-called “modern urban legends” but also to any legend in active circulation in a given community.
2.2 It being understood that debate is a normal and necessary part of scholarly enquiry, the society shall not exclude anyone from membership solely on the grounds of conscientiously held and expressed opinions on the nature of contemporary legend.
2.3 The pursuit of the society’s aims shall be achieved by such means as may be decided by the members. These may include, but not exclusively,
- the holding of meetings and seminars,
- the editing and issuing of individual and serial publications.
2.4 In pursuit of its aims, the society may act independently or in collaboration with other bodies.
3.1 Membership in the society shall be contingent upon payment of the annual subscription by such dates as shall be determined by the society’s council.
4.1 The activities of the society shall be determined by general meetings to which all members shall have a right to attend and participate.
- A notice as to the date of the annual general meeting shall be sent to the membership four months prior to the meeting and shall include details as to how members can submit business for the agenda and can nominate individuals for election to the council.
4.2 The business of a general meeting shall include:
- the consideration of the report of the council;
- the election of the members of the council;
- the setting of the annual subscription;
- the consideration of any business notified in advance by the council;
- the consideration of any business notified in advance by any two members of the society;
- the setting of the date of the next general meeting.
4.3 When possible a general meeting shall be held in each calendar year; not more than thirty months may elapse between general meetings.
5: THE COUNCIL (Amended 14 May 1993, 8 October 2002, 1 February 2005, 30 June 2010).
5.1 The business of the society between general meetings shall be conducted by a council.
5.2 Members of the council shall be elected at the general meeting. Officers of the society will normally serve terms of three years. These terms will be staggered in the following pattern. Year one will include the election of the President, who will become President Elect, and will result in the current President Elect becoming President and the current President becoming Past President. Year two will include elections of Secretary, Treasurer, one Member at Large (European), one Member at Large (North American), and Member-at-Large (Early Career Scholar, European). Year three will include elections of the remaining Members at Large. The editors of Contemporary Legend, FOAFTale News, and Webmaster will be appointed by council and serve terms of a length determined by council.
5.3 The council of the society shall consist of the office bearers and such additional members as may be decided at the general meeting.
5.4 The officers of the society, their terms of office and their election shall be:
- President – three years – moved from President Elect in year 1 of election cycle
- President Elect – three years – elected in year 1 of election cycle
- Past President – three years – moved from President in year 1 of election cycle
- Treasurer – three years – elected in year 2 of election cycle
- Secretary – three years – elected in year 2 of election cycle
- Member at Large (European) – three years – elected in year 2 of election cycle
- Member at Large (North American) – three years – elected in year 2 of election cycle
- Member at Large (European) – three years – elected in year 3 of election cycle
- Member at Large (North American) – three years – elected in year 3 of election cycle
- Member at Large (Early Career Scholar, European) – three years – elected in year 2 of election cycle
- Member at Large (Early Career Scholar, North American) – three years – elected in year 3 of election cycle
- Editor of Contemporary Legend – by appointment
- Editor of FOAFTale News – by appointment
- Webmaster – by appointment
Where there is more than one nomination for a position on council, a written ballot of those present and eligible to vote will be undertaken at the annual meeting.
5.5 Organizers of the Society’s Conferences shall be appointed as temporary members of the council.
6: CHANGES TO THE CONSTITUTION
6.1 Proposed amendments and additions to the society’s constitution must be submitted in the first place to a general meeting.
6.2 Any proposed amendment or addition to the constitution which receives the support of a majority of those voting at a general meeting shall be communicated in writing to all members within three months of that meeting.
6.3 Any proposed amendment or addition thus approved and communicated shall be deemed adopted unless challenged in writing by at least ten members of the society within a further three months.
6.4 Any proposed amendment or addition thus challenged shall be submitted to a postal ballot of all members within a further three months.
6.5 A postal ballot shall be decided by simple majority of those voting.